Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Haberdashery - Obituaries

bird in sky

In my collection of obituaries, my favorite is the one Christopher Hitchens wrote about Edward Said. Why can't all obits be like it instead of the staid, list-like articles?

Perhaps it's because the Brits and Americans write their obituaries differently and I am reading the wrong publications for my obituary-fix.

Good read of obituaries from a now-defunct quarterly magazine - Good Bye! I like the one of Stephen Jay Gould - I've read all his books and didn't even know he had passed.

A collection of obituaries by McG is on my Amazon wishlist.

I'd love, love to attend a Great Obituary Writers' Conference. Especially after reading an article of what goes on during the conference, for example, a discussion of "How many ways can one say 'died'?".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi HoH,

Fantastic pictures, and a quality Blog !

Cheers,

Napoleon.

Danielle said...

Hmm. Let me try to answer that last question:
"passed on"
"kicked the bucket"
"fell into an endless sleep"
"took his/her last breath"
"exhaled...forever"
"retired"

Post a Comment