Saturday, July 18, 2009

Mini popovers

Mini popovers recipe

Today we went to the vet. It's our first visit since Dexter adopted us 3 months ago. Our vet, Dr. Koga was just fabulous. She treated Dexter well, was very informative and gave us plenty of good advice. It was fun to watch Dexter in a different environment. He was really curious - sniffing every corner. The vet technician took Dexter to the back area where many of the staff were working, to weigh him. As soon as she read out his weight - 16.8 pounds - everyone turned their heads to look at him - amazement in their eyes. Yes, he is a big guy. We like to use the word "hefty". OK?

When we returned from the vet, I made popovers for tea. I've owned a popover pan for one year and have tried making popovers a grand total of two times - "tried" being the operative word. My first effort ambitiously included green onions and parmesan cheese. They tasted good but they didn't pop one bit. Learned my lesson so I tried a plain popover recipe next. That time, I saw the popovers rising in the oven. I was excited and clapped a little in joy. And then they started deflating before my very eyes. Was it the temperature, or maybe the applause? Whichever, I was crushed.

But I am determined not to make the popover pan the white elephant in my drawer of baking pans. So I dusted the pan and despite my fear of failure, decided to give it another go. As the popovers were popping in the oven, I remained calm and was determined not to become attached. But it was a case of third time lucky. With a spread of butter, the warm puffy popover was simply luscious in the mouth.

There are many recipes out there with different methods such as putting the batter through a blender and pre-heating the pan. I did neither. I also have a mini-popover pan so I adjusted the baking time and temperature. The batter is enough for about 8 mini popovers which was plenty for two.

Mini popovers recipe

Popovers

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk (room temperature)
2 eggs (room temperature)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar

Beat the eggs and then add in the rest of the ingredients. Whisk well - small lumps are OK. Let the batter rest. Pre-heat the oven to 400 F. Oil the popover pan. Then pour the batter up to ¾ of each popover cup. Put the pan in the second lowest rack of the oven. Bake for about 18 minutes then lower the temperature to 340 F. Bake for another 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes 8 mini-popovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment